Notes from April 2nd 2019 Street Party Planning Meeting

Questionnaire

1.     Good number of completed questionnaires received. No objections were received (hooray!) and lots of offers of help.

Logistics

2.     Roy has volunteered to run the electricity from his house.

3.     John, Martin, Debbie & David have all volunteered to help out on the bar. We need someone to coordinate the honesty bar and others who can help out, when needed, on the day.

4.     The fridge used for last year’s bar is now being used by Calabash Kitchen at The Coppermill. Roy to ask Lamoud if we could borrow it for the day.

5.    Fridge to be plugged in early and drinks pre-chilled. Ice buckets will also help.

Music and Entertainment

6.     Bex (DJ TBX) has accepted our offer to DJ. Nicky to find out what equipment she brings and what she needs us to provide.

7.     Sword Dancers are TBC.

8.     Salsa Dancers are TBC. Cliff to ask his sister.

Games and Activities

9.     Need to book bouncy castle soon. Charmaine to ask Ian/ Bob who supplied the bouncy castle last year. Also enquire whether they rent out water slides.

10.  Jeff has the tug-of-war rope

11.  Need to locate the two horse costumes. It would be good to buy two more; decide when we know outcome of council funding as quite expensive.

12.  Laurence can bring football net from school and organise mini-tournament or Beat The Goalie game. 

13.  Stocks were suggested at the last meeting but no-one could recall if someone owned these already! If we can find the stocks, Roy to organise celebrity masks (for wet sponge throw).

14.  Nicky to speak to her friend and Bex about face-painting. Cliff to ask Nicola. Could have a few people doing this and buy some face paints/ brushes for party supplies.

15.  Need a photographer for the group photo. Roy to ask his daughter.

16.  Debbie and Dave have volunteered to organise the bake off. Is there a way to get number of entrants up this year?

Older Residents

17.  We want to ensure all Elmfield Roaders, young and old, feel the party is for them. Nicky, Jo, Charmaine and Roy to chat to their older neighbours..

18.  ‘Guess the Baby’ game would be a good conversation starter. Nicky to organise.

Funding

19.  Roy’s sponsored bike ride on 3-4 June. Money pledged by locals will be donated to the street party fund.

20.  We should hear back from the council re funding by 22 April.

Council liaison

21.  Now date is confirmed as Sat 13th July, Nicky to submit application for road  closure.

22.  Charmaine to call Cllr Coghill in a week or so, following up on email of 11 March.

Next Meeting

23.  Tuesday 23rd April at 8pm in The Coppermill.

Can anyone interested in helping run the bar please come along?

——————————————————–

Advertisements

Elmfield Road 2019 Street Party minutes.

Notes of Elmfield Road Street Party planning meeting, Tuesday 19th March 2019 at The Coppermill, 7:30pm. Attendees: Nicky, Laurence, Cliff, Roy, Charmaine

Agenda:

Whether to have Street Party/Date/Time; Communication/Activities; Acknowledgements.

Whether to have/Date/Time:

As the March deadline for applying to Waltham Forest Council for Elmfield Road Street Party funding was 20th March. Thanks to Nicky, an application has been submitted in time. Public Liability Insurance and road closure permission are also to be obtained from the Council. However, we do need to show the council that everyone who lives on the street has been consulted on whether they agree to a party being held. Please would you fill in and return the little questionnaire attached.

The proposed date for the Street Party is Saturday 13th July from 1pm. The schools break up on 19th July, so this avoids the risk that families cannot attend due to holiday commitments.

In recent years, the Party has attracted many folks not from the street and there was some concern that it was losing its community essence. Proposal for this year is to start with a community dinner on the road just for residents, and to take a group photo.

Later on the event could be opened to others.

Invite Cllr. Clare Coghill (local councilor and Leader of Waltham Forest Council) who has always supported and often visited our Street Party.

Communication/Activities
What we have
: Over the years, we have accumulated lots of useful games, props etc that are used at each party. Only problem is, who has what? Please drop us an email, knock or pop to

the meeting and let us know.

• 4 Tents/gazebos (Charmaine has 2)

• 4 Pantomime horses

• Spacehoppers (how many and do we have the stoppers?)

• 6 folding tables (6ft x 3ft) (Geoff & Bridget)

• Tug-of-War rope

• Lighting/cable (Ian)

• Street Party banner(s) (Cathy)
What we need:
Bouncy castle, stocks, celebrity/popular faces masks, football net, water-slide, a very long hose for water slide, 4 more folding tables, 2 more pantomime horses, chalks, disposable table cloths, napkins, disposable cutlery, plates and glasses, face paints and face painters.
Suggested additional games/entertainment:
Celebrity wheelbarrow race, stocks, football, return of salsa dancers, sword dance ensemble (yes, we have a professional sword dancer in our street). Plus the usual well loved Bake-Off (if Dave & Debbie happy to continue with this), and the Best Garden competition.
Music/Electricity/Raffle/Bar
Get your Guilty Pleasures request to us in good time. Nicky to contact Bex for DJ’ing. Suggest we pay her £250 + free drinks from the bar.

     

Feedback from many of us is that the raffle draw is long-winded and boring. So, this year we will not be accepting raffle prize donations. Instead there’ll be only 3 cash prizes: 1st prize being £100. Raffle tickets will remain at £2 for 5 tickets or 50p per ticket.

Cliff has volunteered to build the honesty BAR again (yeah!!). He will need some help – so, we’ll keep you posted.

Roy will be cycling to raise funds. Last year that raised £280. This year he’ll be cycling Aberdeen to Glasgow in early June. He will post the details to the WhatsApp group and on the blog.

Acknowledgements.

Huge thanks again to Cliff and Ian for organising the meetings and getting the Street Party going over the last 10 years. It’s good to know they’re still on board!

Thanks to Nicky and Roy for getting us started this year.

NEXT MEETING TUESDAY APRIL 2nd COPPERMILL PUB 7.30pm

Walthamstow Street Party Planning

Details of how to proceed are set out in the council road closure application. Public Liability Insurance is covered by the council – but only expect to be covered if the criteria set out in the guidance is met. If you’re starting to plan a street party this year, the guidance in this document has been built over the 10 years we’ve been having our party…

https://walthamforest.gov.uk/sites/default/files/Application-Guidance-PLI-%20Fillable.pdf


Funding approved for Street Party

We are very pleased to announce that this year we will be receiving funding from Waltham Forest Council High Street Ward to help cover the costs of the party. This will help us to put on the best party ever for our neighbours and their family and friends. The money will help us to buy materials we need for the Marquee and help pay for street decorations we can use for the day, compostable food/drink containers (we’re going for ‘zero waste’ as much as possible this year), the DJ hire costs, bouncy castle hire and other bits and pieces that we need for the event. If you are buying anything you might want reimbursement for (no booze, sorry!) remember to keep receipts and have a chat with Clifford.

Panto Horse – first attempt…

Street Party 2017 planning meeting 5-7-17- notes.

A few of us managed to get together after the Swifts meeting yesterday to have a chat about this year’s Street Party. I managed to get down some notes and here’s a summary of what was discussed (let me know if I’ve missed anything if you were there).

David (9) will be contacting the council to apply for the road to be closed.

Outline plan for the day:-

  • 10am get the roof on the structure!
  • 11am start decorating
  • 2pm games start, food coming out, music on, party starts 🙂
  • 5-6-ish awards/bake-off etc?
  • 7pn raffle?
  • 8pm TBC (see below)
  • 9pm Bex (DJ)

Above times may need to be adjusted as we go along.

The aim this year (as ever) is to get the roof on the structure and the street decorated as early as possible. To that end, marquee construction will begin the day before (at least) and any help will be welcome. Some decoration will also start the day before, help welcome. We need to check if we have enough bunting or need to buy (make?) more. Any creative ideas for decorations we can put up around the street or in the marquee welcome. We hope to get some solar lights to add to the bunting and to put in the trees as it’ll be dark earlier this year with it being September so could look really good.

Hopefully Nicola will be able to do face painting for a couple of hours in the afternoon but if anyone is willing to volunteer some time to help with face painting have a chat beforehand (or on the day).
Anyone willing to help out with the running of the games have a chat to Laurence or Gordon.

Games are likely to include:

  • All the old favourites as usual, sack race, 3-legged race etc – hopefully Laurence can get hold of the props: let us know if we need to add anything.
  • We’ll also be having the ‘beer goggles’ games, space hoppers and we’re exploring if it’s feasible to add a ‘pantomime horse race’ … watch this space!
  • Tug of War: Margaret’s offered to buy a replacement to the one we broke last year! That’ll be the street tug of war rope.
  • Possible obstacle course?

We’ll probably need to buy more medals for the awards ceremony.

Do we need to track down the best garden and bake off trophies?

We can make space for people to set up tables if they want to sell any of their crafts or want to promote a charity/local organisation – just have a chat to us on the day (but bring your own table).

We do need some people to volunteer to help make sure the awards run smoothly (Debbie and Dave again?)

There’ll be a raffle and we think £1 a ticket £4 for 5 is reasonable. We will be asking for donated gifts. If there is a big disparity between the values of the donations we’re pondering if we could auction off a few items – not sure how this might work so that’s still something to ponder.

We are looking into the possibility of a band BUT still very early days – depends on logistics of setting up a full band, how much they might want paying, availability.

We are in the process of convincing a surprise guest DJ from the street to perform a set on the night – again watch this space for details.

We all thought a Dressing Up Box could be a lot of fun, especially for the guest DJ set. If anyone can donate any old ridiculous cloths, wigs etc just bring them out on the day. Maybe we can buy in some cheap wigs etc? Maybe if you’re out in charity shops and spot something you could imagine going down well pick it up and keep it until the day?

DJ Bex is playing again. She is happy for “guilty pleasures” requests BUT please keep it to a maximum of three suggestions. If you use the Subject Line Elmfield Guilty Pleasures it might help her to keep track of the emails. Remember we’ll be trying to dance to your suggestions so please no Gregorian chanting, industrial soundscapes, operatic ventures etc

we’re pondering setting up an ‘honesty’ cocktail bar for the evening time. Would need to be staffed and set up.

Possible space for stalls where residents can sell craft items or promote local organisations?

 

————————–

What is the weather usually like on September 2nd?

UPDATE MAY 2017: Due to unforseen circumstances we’ve had to move the proposed date of this year’s event to the week later – Saturday September 9th. A newsletter / questionnaire will soon be circulated to residents asking for their opinions on this new date.